“Do you know of any retirement communities that do the hotel-type rental?”
“Do you know of any retirement communities in the Boston area that do the hotel-type rental? How would one find out about the possibilities for this type of rental?”
I have received a few questions like this one lately. Since there is not a formal organization of communities offering this type of stay, here are some ideas if it’s something you are interested in.
- If you need to be somewhere specific, map your location on Google Maps
- Click on the “search nearby” link and type in “retirement community”. This should give you the location of the communities closest to your location.
- If that doesn’t generate a good list, contact the Area Agency on Aging in the region you are visiting and ask them for a list of local communities.
- You want to focus on independent living retirement communities or continuing care retirement communities first.
- Once you have narrowed it down, your best point of contact will be the marketing department. Ask them if they have a program for guests to stay in their community. If the answer is yes, you may be on your way to a unique hotel stay!
- If its not their standard practice explain why you are interested. Since you are going to their city anyways, see if you could schedule a time to swing by the community on your trip and introduce yourself to the staff and tour the community. As I have stated earlier, I think this type of arrangement is best for travelers that are frequently going to the same location, checking out the location first and meeting staff is smart for everyone.
Definitely not as easy as calling in to book a hotel! Well, as I said before, this is not an idea for every traveler. However, for the right person and the right community it has the possibility to be a trip you will talk about for a long time!