Seniors Hit Hard By the Flu
Tips to Help You and Your Loved Ones Avoid the Flu This Season
Even though it’s felt like winter for a while, the flu has yet to reach its seasonal peak. The seasonal flu, which can start taking effect in the fall and winter, hits its all-time high in the months of January and February. According to the CDC, more than 200,000 Americans are hospitalized every year from the seasonal flu. Matrix Medical Network has some tips and suggestions for seniors to help avoid getting the flu and spreading it.
1) Get Vaccinated: The first step to avoiding the flu is to get vaccinated. It’s recommended to get the flu shot in October and November, before the peak months, but getting vaccinated now is still advised and can be effective through the rest of the season.
2) Cleanliness is Key: Wash your hands to avoid picking up and preventing the spread of germs. Try not to touch your mouth or eyes with unwashed hands, or when coughing or sneezing.
3) Get Enough Sleep: 8-10 hours of sleep a night is recommended for your body’s ability to help fight off illnesses and remain healthy during the peak flu months.
4) Eat Healthy: In addition to getting enough sleep, eating nutritious, well-balanced meals is a great way to keep your immune system in good shape.
5) Work up a Sweat: Being physically active is another way to help your immune system fight off illnesses.
6) Keep Away: The flu spreads easily wherever people congregate. By avoiding crowds during peak flu season, you reduce your chances of infection. And, if you’re sick, stay home so that you don’t pass on the flu to others.
7) Get Help: If you have flu-like symptoms—fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue—make an appointment to see your Primary Care Physician because there are treatment options available.
Matrix Medical Network provides in-home care using board-certified, local nurse practitioners to visit eligible members of certain Medicare Advantage health plans nationwide at no cost to them. Providing in-home care helps address health needs from medication adherence to environmental factors that impact overall wellbeing. Matrix strives to make healthcare more affordable and convenient, while also improving the quality of care.
You can also view a video about patient experiences at https://bit.ly/MatrixMemberExperience