Request for Proposals – NVTC seeks Senior Travel Trainers
The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC), through WB&A Market Research, is recruiting qualified firms, non-profits, or individuals to offer instruction to seniors on how to use fixed-route public transportation services in Northern Virginia for independent travel.
Issue Date June 9, 2006
Written Questions Due June 21, 2006
Proposal Due Date Noon, July 7, 2006
This effort is part of a Phase II pilot program to test the effectiveness of travel instruction to seniors on public transportation services. Funding has been provided by a VDOT planning grant. Phase I of the project was a research study of senior transportation issues, including a survey of over 1,600 persons age 75 and older. Phase I was completed in April 2006.
Travel trainers will work under the direction of NVTC’s project manager, and closely with the project advisory team (consisting of local and regional transportation and social services staff), NVTC’s prime consultant (WB&A Market Research) and WB&A’s subconsultant (The KFH Group).
In addition to this announcement, interested candidates should familiarize themselves with NVTC’s full scope of work for Phase II of this project and the Phase I study results. Both documents can be found on NVTC’s website at www.thinkoutsidethecar.org.
Travel Trainer Qualifications Sought
- - Previous transit travel training experience, with a demonstrated record of success in working with an older population.
- - Energetic and able to establish rapport with seniors who are unfamiliar and possibly uncomfortable with the notion of traveling on public transportation.
- - Knowledgeable about the specific physical and cognitive disabilities common among the elderly and the ways to assist seniors to work around these challenges.
- - Knowledgeable about the common fears seniors have in using public transportation and the necessary training instruction and format to assist seniors in becoming comfortable with using public transportation.
- - Knowledgeable about transit services in Northern Virginia, including Metrorail and Metrobus service, and local providers’ services.
Jana Lynott, AICP
Director of Transportation Planning
Northern Virginia Transportation Commission 4350 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 720 Arlington, VA 22203
Tel: (703) 524-3322 X 102
Fax: (703) 524-1756
Email: [email protected]