25 Top Suburbs for Retirement
In an era where big cities like New York are focusing on being more age friendly, Forbes offers up a list of their top 25 suburban retirement havens. The list spans 22 states, here is an overview of how they put together the list:
- A 25-mile limit for the distance from the suburb to the center of the big city.
- Towns where the average home price was under $400,000.
- Cost of living and the tax climate for retirees, availability of hospitals and higher education
- Crime rates and air quality.
- Mass transit options – proximity of rail—back to the big city.