ProAging Career Center
|Company Name||Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare|
|Date Posted||May 13, 2014|
|Category||Jobs for Seniors and Retirees|
|Job Type||ProAging Career Center|
Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare, a 307-bed skilled nursing facility, is seeking an Activities Director to ensure that residents care needs related to therapeutic activities are assessed and properly met. This position oversees the daily operations of Activities and Volunteer services, including developing, implementing and supervising meaningful volunteer activities that supplement staff functions. The Activities Director also works with various community agencies and groups in developing potential resources for the volunteer program.
Please Apply at www.WoodbineRehab.com.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures that each resident is assessed within established standards and that all appropriate Activities Department personnel participates in the development and implementation of a comprehensive care plan.
2. Directs the planning, organization and coordination of activity programs to meet the resident’s social, emotional, mental, physical and spiritual needs.
3. Ensures that residents are assessed in light of their background, interest, leisure, previous lifestyle, physical and cognitive limitations and needs.
4. Ensures completion of documentation for each individual activity program using the appropriate assessment forms.
5. Ensures completion of the Minimum Data Set (MDS) comprehensive assessment forms in a timely manner.
6. Ensures that appropriate Activities Department staff participates in the multidisciplinary team approach in the development, implementation and evaluation of each resident’s care plan.
7. Ensures that progress notes are maintained in a timely manner and are specific to the resident’s activity plans.
8. Ensures that progress notes are recorded in the clinical record at least quarterly or more frequently when appropriate.
9. Monitors resident responses and modifies the care plan or approaches as indicated by the residents needs.
10. Ensures that resident attendance and participation in Activities programs are documented with reference to their response to the program noting both active and passive participation.
11. Ensures that bedside log documentation regarding resident participation in special Activities programs are documented with reference to their response.
12. Makes provisions for Activity programs that encourage residents to make decisions, participate in planning and assume a degree of responsibility and independence.
13. Monitors outcomes as documented on quality activity evaluation forms to ensure quality therapeutic recreation programming.
14. Makes the fullest possible use of community social and recreational opportunities, including the involvement of volunteers and community groups.
15. Provides support to Resident Council as needed.
16. Develops job descriptions for volunteer assignments.
17. Recruits, interviews and selects volunteers (both individuals and groups). Provides initial and ongoing training for all volunteers. Oversees volunteer activities to ensure safe and appropriate interaction with residents.
18. Keeps records regarding Volunteer attendance; individual volunteer “work” hours as well as group programs.
19. Plans and executes annual volunteer recognition program and other events related to the Volunteer program.
20. Interviews and selects candidates for employment in the Activities Department.
21. Provides training, guidance, coaching and counseling as needed to correct and improve departmental staff performance.
Must meet at least one of the following minimum qualifications:
1. Be a qualified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or an activities professional; OR
2. Be eligible for certification as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or activities professional by a recognized accredited body, OR:
3. Have one year full-time experience, within the last five years, in a patient activities program in a health care setting; OR:
4. Be a qualified Occupational Therapist or COTA; OR:
5. Have completed 40 hours of training in group activities and recognizing and
assessing the activity needs of residents.
Three to five years previous experience in a LTC therapeutic activities program, including at least one year of supervisory experience, preferred.